Thread: KV6 overheating
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2019, 11:04   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Phil,
Thought I'd jump in here because some important points you made earlier haven't been addressed. So, I'll chuck in my observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyphil View Post
Managed to have a look at the fan this afternoon.
There is no resistor visible.
There are the two screw holes on the housing which look like where the resistor should be.
Unless you have a very rare 2-speed setup, you have the earlier 3-speed system. This doesn't have a slow speed resistor and is fixed in a different way. Either a motor brushes replacement or a complete system swap to the later 2-speed is needed. The latter is a plug'n'play swap, though would need a resistor upgrade if not included.

Quote:
Started the engine and left it on idle.
Engine temperature climbed to 96, fan didn't come on.
Temperature climbed to 107, still no response from the fan.
Apart from the aircon demand, your engine cooling stage 1 and 2 systems aren't tripping on at 100C and 106C as they should.

Quote:
I bottled out then and turned the demist on.
The fan came on and the engine temperature quickly dropped to 102 within around 1 minute. Leaving the demist on and fan running, the temperature dropped to 96 within six minutes.
Logically, there was a significant delay before the fan started? Is that so?

The lack of the fan speed 1 and 2 will eventually overheat the aircon sytem and invoke emergency high speed cooling.

So, I think there's a bit more to your predicament than air in the cooling sysem.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote