View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:10   #8
Loki
Regular poster

R75 Connoisseur Saloon CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I beg to differ with you Pupils are not taught to "Brake late"and the reason pupils are not taught to use the gears to slow down is because modern cars do have more efficient brakes and therefore work better.Early cars brakes were not as good and required "assistance" from the gear box to help slow down the car. And for you to say the reason that there are so many bad drivers around and rear end smashes because they are taught in the way you describe is a very cavalier attiude.Pupils are taught the art of anticipation and try to forsee what is going to happen in front of them.
Have to beg to differ too.. Since I only learnt to drive, what 13 years ago, there was nothing more harrowing as a new driver than being behind an "older driver" who insisted on slowing down with the gears.. The brake lights give you an indication that the person in front is slowing down for whatever reason. It's so easy to miss a gradual decrease in speed by the car in front without that indication for a new driver, as your perception and experience just isn't there yet.. I had a couple of near misses, and I suspect a lot of mature drivers who are rear ended by new drivers wouldn't have had their brake light illuminated if a full crash inspection was performed..