View Single Post
Old 16th January 2020, 10:20   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Richard,

I agree with Trikey but for a different reason. The pipe run across the top of the fuel tank won't be corroded simply because it's never in contact with rainwater or road salt so there's no need to replace it.

If you're vigilant with the surface rust on the short visible pipes in the front wheel arches and those running towards the rear wheels and treat them accordingly, you won't have a problem there either.

Simon
Half a job Simon, most unlike you......

Generally speaking the worst affected areas of the fore and aft pipes are the parts where the come down the bulkhead, at the front, the underfloor sections, and where the pipe runs along the chassis member at the rear of the car at the point it connects to the rear flexible pipework.

So if the pipe is corroded to excess in the first area, it will be corroded to excess in the second area also, and my experience has shown this to be the case time and time again.

However as Simon points out, the section above the fuel tank will be spotless, so it will make a good pattern for the new pipework to be fashioned from.

Don't mistakenly crop the pipe forwards of the tank, it is simply not worth it.

I can replace both sides with the car reversed up a set of standard ramps without difficulty, and this includes dropping the tank to do so, and doing the job properly

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote