View Single Post
Old 13th July 2021, 15:55   #18
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

i am not talking speed. I am talking being slow to respond unless you flatten the pedal to the metal!
It is quite annoying at times, with the automatic. If you want to nip in a gap, it is either annoyingly slow, causing the chap behind inconvenience, or it is two gears down and a growl.
The most important thing for a street car is amble torque, and this car has simply not got it! without letting all the horses out the stable at once.

My wife was driving the 1.8T and I the V6 once, and I booted the V6 just to follow the 1.8T! And my wife is not normally a fast driver!

Using the speed control, and hitting a hill, the car goes out of lock up then into fourth and then into 3rd, just to maintain 100kph. And then slips into 4th again almost immediately. It is just so overblown and dramatic.
My 3.5 just plods along, hill or no hill. It stays in 3rd, almost without exception, unless the hill is really really steep.
And buying an estate for me was simply a matter of practicability and good looks. I think, that the 75 in estate form is about the smartest estate I have ever seen. The others I liked was the Sierra, the Volvo 240 (?) and the Chrysler 300. So for me it was a choice of a good looking car!
And no, I don't expect my estate to be any slower than a sedan, why on earth should I??
My bags of cement and engine assemblies, prams, clocks, tape recorders and tools deserve to go 120mph, if I choose. Otherwise I would have bought the other estate I like. This one!