Old 9th August 2015, 20:11   #343
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney bear View Post

The only Afghan Hound I've ever seen in the flesh
Great dogs, mental as anything, like Irish Setters with attitude
When we lived in Bournemouth back in the late 70s we had friends that bred them. Gary had a Capri at the time and one of the dogs would sit in the passenger seat. From behind people thought he had a blonde in the car with him. We had many funny incidents with them, one was "Afghan Racing" it is like greyhound racing but with a total lack of direction or discipline, they were all over the shop. Some couldn't be bothered, some went off in the opposite direction or to make new friends, one watched the "hare" going around then went diagonally across the track to intercept it and rip it off the wire. Fifteen or so minutes later racing resumed.
One day when taking five of them for a walk in the forest I got dragged along on my ar53 by the two youngest dogs who thought, or maybe they had, saw something and took off. Until then I'd always thought they were showy dogs of no substance but believe me there is power underneath.
The eldest of the tribe, the granny, could be let off the lead because she couldn't run far. However, she got into a Morris 1000 because the picnicking couple had left the rear doors open and refused to move until she'd been for a ride up the road and back.
We had one for a couple of weeks, from another friend in Reading, totally neurotic, hated cars, spooked in the flat we lived in but there again he wasn't the only one and in the end went back to Reading.

It is a breed you see very little of these days although I have seen two in the past year. Perhaps the name Afghan puts people of

Thanks for posting that picture, you've brought back a lot of memories not least of our wedding as Gary was our photographer!
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote