View Single Post
Old 18th January 2018, 23:01   #1
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Default Android Head unit fitting - A serious disappointment

So I just test fitted an android head unit, and to my amazement, I had the sticking out at the bottom by a MILE issue, which looked totally RUBBISH.

No problem I thought, must be some cables preventing it at the back..

I check this, ER NEGATIVE... OK, so what the hell is going on? I investigate further, and to my surprise the unit is HARD up against the cut out for the stereo in the center console. I ground the tabs to PERFECTION using the dimensions of the width of the original Rover as a guide, and the tabs fitted bang against the flats where the locating screws, so the unit was in as far as it could go.

Even further investigation revealed, that the bottom of the unit where the problem is, was actually hard up against the centre console, meaning no amount of clips or anything else will improve the situation. The bottom of the unit is TOO ***king thick front to back. I just about manage to capture some pictures of the tiny bit of metal sticking out either side, and its hard butted against the sides of the hole. Pressing the bottom firmly, you can see the centre console flex.

I am deeply unhappy about this, as I spent a massive amount of time doing it all like a factory finish, even sourcing nice BMW connectors for the SWC so it was all like a proper plug and play loom.

Are some of the units different dimensions to others? As far as I see it, there is no way around this, but the sticking out at the bottom, and the large gaps either side make me think that it is just not fit for purpose.

Before I lose my damn mind with frustration, can anyone tell me if this is essentially as good as it gets, because if so, I'd rather have the Kenwood back in tbh. Have I just wasted my time, effort and money? If the dash is cut, then the unit is effectively swinging in the hole right? there will be no support for the thing!! Not acceptable. I really need something to actually go right at the moment, things suck, I am ill, the car needs load of jobs, nothing is going right and this is the last straw.

Here are the pics:-

1) Just WTF?

2) Unit hard up against the center console cut out

3)

4)

5)

Pro job on the tabs, to original Hiline specification dimensions wise:-

To add insult to injury, look at the mm perfect fitting on an E46.....

Last edited by T16; 18th January 2018 at 23:39..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote