View Single Post
Old 7th September 2017, 19:54   #5
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
The problem Davey is that the guy with no formal qualifications although good at the job may not be fully aware of safety issues and not trained in it.
The lad up the street may be a brilliant sparky but wont have the training about the regulations, an employer takes him on and the lad makes a mistake.... just like we all do.... the mistake causes someone to get a shock, so who gets the blame? Yes the employer as he has taken on unqualified staff. Sorry in this day and age you need the paperwork and the experience.
That I am afraid is where it all falls down. Four years at uni and little practical experience is no use. Proper apprenticeships need to come back with the apprentice doing the job 4 days a week and one day, day release at college to learn the theory and how to do the job properly, that's what so many like me got with City & Guilds.
I did C & G 236 part 1 electrical installation competency at college, 1 night per week, using the 16th edition of IEE regs. probably count for nothing now if I tried to get into the electrical industry.

In answer to your question Dave, my choice would be number 2, but would send him on a safety course before he started work, or train him myself in safety, depending on the trade.