View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:54   #17
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
I have Conti 3s on my car as thats what was fitted from new. They are a great all rounder esp in the wet but the down side is they are a soft tyre so wear out quickly and I have noticed when you get near the wear bars the performance does drop considerably. Ive got a full set of Conti 5s to go on when these are on the wear bars. Not cheap but I just save up for them over a period of time.(They are £100 a corner!)
My 260 had the Conti's on from the factory. I ran-in the engine for 5k miles and lent it to a petrolhead mate to try. When it came back I noticed the tread was well past the bars and would shortly qualify as a slick. I gave him hell for donuting.

Put on a full set of the same. Jaw dropped in wonderment when at 5k miles the old bald eagle appeared again. After that I put on Avon's (various id's like ZZ3, ZZ5 etc) which gave me an uplifting 6k. Wow, I knew the 260 was a bit of a brute but I thought £250 annually for two tyres was close to deterring my enjoyment of rapid driving. Anyways, the fitment is 225/45/18 and due to a "clerical error" were next fitted with 235/45/18 Avon ZZ5's. These have given me 14k miles. I can only guess the extra 10mm width spread the toque load better than 225's.

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 2nd October 2020 at 16:00.. Reason: Spelling
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote