View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2020, 03:16   #19
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

About 10 years ago I was running MAXXIS on the MG V8. I had sort of settled on this tyre when doing 40k a year in my previous MGZT Cdti. When I bought the V8 back in 2008 it came fitted with a new set of KUMHO which were ok and lasted around 12k, replacing with the familiar MAXXIS .

Well on a spirit drive in a cold and damp winters day (Glen Coe etc) I lost not only confidence in me, and the car as the car was almost losing traction with the gentlest of acceleration. At a stopping point I got out and check the tyres which were still around 6mm only to find they had delaminated. All four tyre treads were running a few degrees off centre. I proceeded home in the most gingerly of drives and have paid much more attention in tyre selection.

The V8 now runs on either Goodyears (AS2 currently and for 2 sets) or previously Michelin PSP. I have ran Avons on a Fiesta and my now sold 75CDTi and they were good but not just quite as good as the AS2/PSP. I may put Rainsports on my Fiesta van next time around as I would like to experience these. I need A rated for rain (Cumbria) then I like quiet next finally value for money.

I have had a number of cars come with budget tyres (Infinity, Linglong & Accelerra) not certain death but noticeably lacking in the cold and wet of Cumbrian winters. You mainly get what you pay for but by taking heed of others (Here and other information sources) You can get a very good tyre for less than premium.

Last edited by Mr bountyfull; 3rd October 2020 at 03:19..
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote