View Single Post
Old 7th February 2022, 23:27   #16
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Steve - I think that is the right path to go down.

The lowest quad-core CPU that windows 11 will be officially supported on is an i3-8100 (or a pentium/celeron of the same 8th gen architecture for lower performance). These were launched back in 2017. In October 2025 when support for windows 10 ends, machines with these CPUs will be 6-8 years old. Personally, I don't feel it's a big deal, especially as the older PCs will be able to continue working on Windows 10 or 7 and safely off the internet.

By the time we get to October 2025, ex-busines PCs with an i3-8100 and 8GB RAM should be available for around £100-£150. I would always replace the used hard disk and SSD with a new one for peace of mind. This means that a user would be able to buy a PC capable of lasting atleast 5 years for around £200 i.e. less than £50/PA. I would go down this path for security and run the older machines for general use offline or on Linux for web browsing etc with the Linux firewall turned on.

To play with windows 11 on a machine not used for serious work, I've just ordered an ex-business i3-8100/8GB RAM/500GB HD Lenovo V530S for £170. I'll replace the HD with a 500GB nVME SSD for exceptional performance and end up with a quality PC for playing for less than £250. L
Quote:
enovo and HP are my favourites as they are built to quality but don't have any special components to make life difficult like Dell.
My Wife bought a new Dell when she found out that the HP she had would not accept windows 11, which we were both surprised about.

I now have that

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote