View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2020, 17:02   #6
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

To release the seat back you pull on the two pieces of black webbing the ends of which are lying in the gap between the seat back and the squab. The pieces of webbing should move unhindered to allow the wire loops at each side of the seat back to spring up to lock the seat back in position. The wire loops perform two functions. They engage with the plastic covered metal hooks on the bulkhead and they act as springs. The wire loops sit in groves in the plastic housing so the wire is twisted like a torsion bar. On my 75 the wire loop had come out of the grove in the plastic housing so it was not springing back. I drilled out the pop rivets to remove the plastic housing. Relocated the wire loop into the groove then refitted the plastic housing with nuts and bolts. However if your wire loop(s) is not springing back it is not necessary to drill out the pop rivets when you know that the wire loop sits in a groove. You should be able to push it back into the groove with pliers. I still found it difficult to get the seat back to lock into position so I sprayed the hooks on the bulkhead with silicone lubricant. The hooks are tapered implying that you can just slam the seat back against them and they will deflect the wire loop but I found that not to be the case. I pulled on the black webbing to keep the wire loops down, pushed the seat back against the bulkhead then released the black webbing. After several attempts they both locked.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote