View Single Post
Old 10th September 2010, 21:38   #29
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmarks View Post
Having now pondered the reply i have just sent them another note asking what cars they put the M57D in. Having regard to the last paragraph of their reply, if the thermostat manufacturer used the same design and there was a 92 degree for the M57 engine it may fit ! Perhaps somebody who has a spare / old thermostat (which I dont) could pop into the BMW dealer and compare them. mmmmmm food for thought.
I can answer that, Crashmarks. Using the part number on the thermostat I've found that the same one was used in the X5 3.0 D (M57 engine). I've seen one web site that shows it was used in 77 different models by various manufacturers, including Opel and Range Rover diesels! You'll note that all the other engines in which it's used seem to be bigger than ours. The original in the X5 was apparently notorious for failing. It appears that the revised thermostat still opens at 88C, though.
I believe that the thermostat alone is or was available in Europe as a separate item but my local BMW place was unable to trace the part, even with the part number. In the UK you can only get the thermostat for the M57 as a complete unit with housing and I doubt whether that would bolt straight on. This may mean that you'd have to buy the complete unit and transplant the thermostat.
I've now given up with BMW and I've turned my attention to the manufacturers, Behr and Wahler (I'm not sure if Motorrad actually make anything or whether they're just the spares arm of BMW. I'll write to them though, just in case). Behr's web site is very welcoming. They say, "What can we do for you? Give us a challenge! We will be glad to provide more information on our products". We'll see if they live up to that.
If anyone is interested in doing any dabbling, the relevant BMW part numbers are:
11 51 7 787 052
11 51 7 787 113
11 51 7 789 014
11 51 7 805 811
Someone might be able to trace the thermostat alone as a Range Rover, Opel or some other manufacturers' spare, rather than BMW's.

I REPEAT, I BELIEVE IT MAY ONLY BE THE THERMOSTAT IN THESE UNITS THAT IS THE SAME AS OURS.

Jules, I'm sending you a PM with some info which might or might not be useful

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote