View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2021, 17:41   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The T4 is specific to MGR vehicles and will show information that a generic diagnostic system may not. The problem would be finding a T4 system near you, the nearest I know of is Dreadnaught up in Callander.

PS Although he doesn't have a T4 I'd have a word with Dunc (Cossie Dunc), he has a garage out in Whitburn. Trader on here and a bl00dy good mechanic.
The problem is that the ABS system determines the rate of wheel acceleration and deceleration from the sensors picking up the magnetic reluctor segments on each wheel, so the odd missing segment may not flag up as an alarm, it is interpreted as a drop in speed. If there is a pattern to it then you may get a plausibility fault as the system doesn't see a fault, but does see something out of the normally expected results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
Thats an interesting point about the rust behind the sensors, would this show up when checking the wheel speeds matched or would you have no other indication than the phantom activation?
It depends on how much of a problem it has become - you may see a blip on the wheel speeds on diagnostics, but then again in the early stages with just the odd random missed segment you may not.

So for me a voltmeter and a bit of time spent checking each wheel in turn is preferred, and has so far got to the bottom of all the faults.

The rear ABS sensor that had a bit of rust behind the mounting point was difficult to spot, but was enough to increase the air gap slightly and cause the odd miss read.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 3rd October 2021 at 20:44..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote