View Single Post
Old 26th June 2020, 11:09   #30
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
What I was wondering about, like the teardrop engine mount, there are sellers selling them.for universal fitment,likewise sellers selling cheap 'knock off' alternatives (like all car parts). So possibly either a mount designed for another engine type, or a cheap alternative. If a cheap alternative it could tear itself apart quickly. If the incorrect one, it could transmit vibratations more than it should?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
Absolutely Alan, the shore hardness of the rubber in petrol and diesel models is entirely different, and the silicone glycol mixture different too.

I drained both a used diesel one, and one from a V6, and measured the viscosity in Redwood seconds (can't lay my hands on the figures at the moment) however fluid recovered from the diesel one was considerably more viscous than that of the petrol at 21 degrees C

The top and bottom of the matter is simple, if an item is cheap, even if it looks the part, this doesn't ensure that it's fit for purpose.

The V6 mount although dimensionally identical to the diesel one, the one which I fitted prior to the purchase of a genuine Rover diesel mount from XPart, transmitted huge amounts of vibration in comparison to the correct part that was removed.

In the case of all of the mounts, two were original factory fit, none of which were Chinese manufacture, none made a sloshing noise when shaken.

I'm fairly certain that if there were air present inside the unit, this would be detrimental to the operation, air being compressible, and fluid not so, the damping action of the mount being compromised as a result.

Personally speaking I wouldn't fit the mount as supplied, instead I would source one from XPart, and know that at least the supplier had been subject to some form of objective scrutiny

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote