View Single Post
Old 21st February 2021, 20:02   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
I’m getting on around 36-37 mpg on my 75 diesel cdti 135hp auto. This is a mixture of driving on various roads. Is this about normal? What can I do to improve this? Thanks.
This is a how long is a piece of string type question, as driving style roads and traffic will all play a factor, and make it incomparable with mine, or someone elses's.

Mine does 32-36 mpg consistently for my commute, depending on temperature. Pre lockdown, my driving was rarely different, and the figures were more or less bang on month in month out. My commute is 1 mile around town, then 1 mile at 40, 2 miles at 50, 2 at 40 again and then 3 at 70 (accelerating to 70, normally from a stop or near stop) and a final 1 at 50. Total is around 10 miles. On the way home it is different, and less economy friendly as I stop at my fathers half way home. Since doing that, I noticed a drop of around 2 or 3 mpg. But then, if I was to do 10 miles at 70 it will do around 45-50mpg. Driving at 55 perhaps around 55 mpg.

Since lockdown, it is around 30 or 32! But then, I am going to the shops and back, and I think my longest journey has been 7 miles.

As long as it is constant, then I would not be too concerned, as to the 'health' of the engine. A working thermostat can improve things, but in my case, it added an extra 1-2 mpg. After moving off, switching it to snow mode, added around 2mpg for me on the commute mentioned above (I havent tried this over a period of time, just on a two day period, one without, one with it on). Accelerating very gently will also help too, particularly when the engine and gearbox cold. Gearbox oil change theoretically could help (as it may help it warm up quicker and not hold the gears as long) but I noticed no difference.

Best way would be to experiment, initially using the IPK display (for comparable reference only), changing driving style/mode, on a daily test. It will give you an idea of what will work.

Also, even though I never believed it, I did see an improvement of around 20 miles in range switching from 'Go' fuel (supermarket type), and Maxol (I did notice a difference in smoothness or responsiveness, that I cannot explain or convey when I switched also! - the switch was prompted by availability, and not expectant of improvements)

I assume your figure are brim to brim, rather than any IPK display? The displays are notoriously inaccurate (unless recalibrated), my own displays roughly 15% lower than brim to brim - last time I checked it showed 32, and brim to brim was 36.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 21st February 2021 at 20:07..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote