View Single Post
Old 30th October 2020, 10:34   #16
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
why not use ramps and drive the front wheels up on to them?

macafee2

I find this burns a lot of clutch due to fear of overshooting, I prefer to jack it up and use either stands under the jacking points (perfectly secure- and exactly what the owners manual suggests) or put ramps under the wheels when not needing to remove them. Whichever you use lower the jack so the car rests on the stands or ramps - always chock the rear wheels once jacked up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
Thanks for your advice. Just to be clear I've two car jack/supports and one trolley jack.

Should I be happy to jack up the entire car at the front central member and then rest on two jacks at the front sills (and maybe also remove the O/S front wheel).

As long as the stands are under the jacking points you'll be fine (corrosion of course is the exception!) Don't put stands anywhere else under the sills, the jacking points are reinforced for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS Disco View Post
Not sure you should drop it onto sills for the axle stands. May not be a good idea.
Trolley jack under the centre then find something structural to rest on .
I don't have my custom made axle stands any more or you could have borrowed them.
They consisted of 4 old steel rims, industrial pipe upstands with holes drilled in them and a bit of 2x2 angle iron on the top. Made them myself.
Worked very well to restore floor pans and A pillars etc.

Nothing wrong with using the jacking points for axle stands - exactly what Rover recommended. Rover especially warn against jacking or using stands anywhere other than the 4 sill jacking points and the central front and rear jacking locations. Of course there will be 'safe' places on the subframes (underneath subframe mounting bushes) but there's more danger of getting it wrong for the inexperienced: and distorting a subframe.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote