View Single Post
Old 31st October 2020, 21:30   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I find this burns a lot of clutch due to fear of overshooting, I prefer to jack it up and use either stands under the jacking points (perfectly secure- and exactly what the owners manual suggests) or put ramps under the wheels when not needing to remove them. Whichever you use lower the jack so the car rests on the stands or ramps - always chock the rear wheels once jacked up!

As long as the stands are under the jacking points you'll be fine (corrosion of course is the exception!) Don't put stands anywhere else under the sills, the jacking points are reinforced for it.

Nothing wrong with using the jacking points for axle stands - exactly what Rover recommended. Rover especially warn against jacking or using stands anywhere other than the 4 sill jacking points and the central front and rear jacking locations. Of course there will be 'safe' places on the subframes (underneath subframe mounting bushes) but there's more danger of getting it wrong for the inexperienced: and distorting a subframe.
my wife drives my car on ramps, never smelt the clutch burning.
My axle stands are not flat at the top but have a "U" shape top. I have a block of wood thay fits into the "U" and then rests against the jacking pad.

When lowering a trolley jack you need to check if the trolley jack rolls backwards or if the car rolls. If the car rolls it may not get lowered onto the intended location, so lower slow and check where it is going to land in case you need to move something.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote