View Single Post
Old 10th September 2018, 23:04   #36
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Perhaps we were unlucky with my wife's MGF VVC, purchased at 75,000, with clean, green coolant, drove lovely, took us to Portsmouth, Birmingham, around the Dales (over some steep hills), even stop-start on the M6 for miles in the summer, the temperature gauge never went high. Having for several years, looked at many a 2nd hand Rover -25s, 214 and 216 cabbies, and coupes, and found a surprising number with mayo in the header tank, or openly acknowledged HG, this F was great for the first 5,000 miles, and we checked the oil and water every week. Then one Friday, less than 2 miles from setting off, my wife noticed the smell of coolant, the gauge had gone high, so she coasted into the firstcar park and switched off. The Tpiece hose with the jiggle valve had exploded (overpressure) and the HG had gone. Sadly, the subsequent engine flush before repair dislodged some carbonised crud, blocking the crank oilways, and it seized solid, full of fresh oil, about 6 weeks later. I'd have another, in a 'fun car', for non-essential use, but as a car to rely on for long distance commuting? Sadly, I think not.
K series engines are rubbish Andrew, my daily drive up until two years ago only managed 40,000 miles per annum for nine and a half years.

The only 75 I've gone out to buy because it was exactly what I wanted was an 1800T, I didn't want a diesel, or V6.

I have owned one of every engine choice now, barring a 190, and I still prefer driving my 1800 to any of the stone crushers, it may not be fast, but it's certainly civilised

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote