View Single Post
Old 4th February 2021, 10:18   #22
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst125 View Post
I think I’ll be ok with the solid floor, just have to chase out a channel for a soil so I can get a cloakroom in, that’ll also enable a move of kitchen to the back. Then I can drop the artex covered ceiling in and lay all the plumbing from below, also giving me a chance to lay new downlighters. The intention is to delete the separate upstairs WC and build a new airing cupboard next to that, so we can still have DHW and CH whilst that’s being laid. Then move the bathroom wall to enlarge it and reinstate the upstairs WC. Gas, soil stack and gable end are all in the right place to do the work whilst the old system is in place, then a case of one last pressure flush, replace old panel rads with modern convector rads, magna clean inline and and flush & fill.
Sounds easy, watch it go to pieces!
Biggest ball ache is getting rid of plasterboard these days, costs more than new sheets and a day for a plasterer..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still with solid floors, downstairs CH and cabling comes from above.
If you have a doorway between to radiators you have to go back up and over and then down again.
With stud walls I think the piping and cabling is hidden in the wall but what happens if you want to move rads or sockets? Stud walls, cheap fast erection but for me it does not scream quality. Hanging anything of weight or value on a stud wall, scary

My daughter looked at a house last week, every wall upstairs and down is solid.

Pulling the ceiling down and working from below is a good idea.
Be carful going through a solid floor as you may go through a damp proof course.

wife and I are in out 3rd house, each one has needed rewiring and new heating so I know what you are going through.
My daughter is in her 3rd house and has done similar, the 3rd house she wrecked and then put it back together

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote