Old 5th February 2021, 13:31   #24
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default More thinking needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst125 View Post
Fair comment but maybe I should have qualified it with “on balance”, I just hadn’t found any accurate data/timescale for the shift away from gas. The house is simply too difficult to fully insulate, and my budget is limited. As I mentioned at the outset the boiler is almost expired, and if there was a viable alternative solution I could have simply gone onto immersion, and Glen radiators if needed whilst working on it.
Sadly with part tiled elevations, elderly uPvc windows, solid floors and probably no cavity insulation, the house efficiency will be so poor it’s not practical to pursue air source etc.
I may consider solar panels at some point as the rear roof is ideal, but that’s for another day.
Looks like it’ll be a system boiler up in the gable end loft, and working on the internal layout a good sized unvented cylinder in a slightly different location to the other one so I can enlarge the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's much to consider when fitting a new boiler, how big is the house, how many rooms etc. I've always found that putting a boiler in the loft wastes a lot of money, you turn on the tap in the kitchen and the boiler fires up to send the water around thirty feet to the tap, you use what you need and then when the tap is turned off there's thirty feet of hot water in the pipe from the loft, it's passed through the boiler and then sits in the pipes going cold.
The best place for a boiler is midway between the kitchen and bathroom, it's not always easy to find such an ideal spot though. The old type boilers that have a cylinder in a cupboard are very old hat and not very effective at saving money, a modern combi condenser will be around 93% efficient and that means you'll lose 7 pence out of the £1 you spend on gas, an old system might be as low as 50% and you're throwing money away with one. In my house I have a 17 year old boiler that's still going very well, the % output is listed as fairly low on the Sedbuk chart but every pipe in my house is lagged with the foam covers, I then foil tape wrapped them all and there is no heat going to waste from them, I feel nothing when I put my hand on them, many people don't realise that a pipe that's not insulated is just wasting gas.
The choice of boiler is a personal one, many say Worcester Bosch but I have much respect for the Biasi range, very well made and better value. The Biasi boilers I've put in over the years have lasted very well, the one in my parents house is over 12 years old now.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote