Thread: Family in WW2
View Single Post
Old 20th April 2020, 19:51   #2
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Next up

Next up is Alexander (Sandy) Ross my grandmother's beloved brother. He joined up at the same time and went to all the same places until Madagascar. Sandy was a diabetic. He should not have been away serving but he believed it was his duty. During a particularly savage 3 days when casualties were high Sandy was wounded. It was a flesh wound serious but he should have survived. He was put on a hospital ship and word sent home that he was wounded.
Alas a few days later Sandy succumbed to his wounds. It was believed in part due to his diabetes. He was buried at sea. A crippling family blow like many felt on all sides during the dark days of global war. Obviously I never knew Sandy but he was a part of family life. I knew his mother until I was 7, my great grandmother (Grandma) who was ill all the time I Knew her. She described the day she knew Sandy was dead. My grandmother confirms she sat up one day and said Sandy is dead. She was told no he was OK by family and friends but alas she was bang on. To the day. Some things in life cannot be explained rationally. Sandy was gone.

Here is Sandy

I wish I had got to know him. Some things just not meant to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (8.9 KB, 7 views)
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote