View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2019, 23:49   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
I'm not against public or private ownership of industries. However those under foreign control tend to take profits out of the country, with no benefit to the UK economy.

The promise of free broadband for all would be the death knell for other broadband providers, and result in job losses. I don't want free broadband at the cost of someone's job.

Jim
Whilst that is true - it is also true that the likes of Diageo, GlaxoSmithKline, BP, Specsavers, Burberry and Dyson - to mention just a few - are UK based companies that make profit outside of the U.K.- and therefore bring revenue home to the U.K.

And I totally agree that “Free Broadband” is yet another gimmick thought up by those with a terminal ineptitude that renders them incapable of joined up thinking.

It would not just be jobs lost - tho’ that of course is truly bad enough! - but another issue is the effect such a plan would have on investment in this sector - investment that many working peoples retirement funds benefit from and which even the unions are now openly saying that such action would be devastatingly negative for their members.

Last edited by Darcydog; 22nd November 2019 at 23:58..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote