View Single Post
Old 12th September 2019, 02:05   #6
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
why bother with the tools? just mark the old belt referencing each cam pulley and the crank pulley, transfer the marks onto the new belt from the old and fit the new. the engine is already timed, why would it need adjusting? the ecu will sort the rest.
I own the tools is why.
I admit mine aren't the factory tools but this is the third, and I am hoping, last time I will have to use them. The set cost me $123.00cdn which amounts to about 80 quid with the adaptors costing an additional 27. At that price it is money well spent. With the car being 17 years old I know the belts have been done before .The lugs are also broken off the plastic belt covers, replaced with duct tape so I don't have 100% confidence the timing is set correctly, although the car does run well. This also means that I will be removing the R/H inlet pulley to replace the broken bits. (Yes, I have replacement bolts )

Thanks Arctic and marinabrian for the links and good advice. That is just what I was looking for when I waded into the swamp of cam belt threads.
Pity I have already ordered the 190 adaptors but there certainly is no harm having them.