Thread: Gearbox woes
View Single Post
Old 13th January 2020, 13:15   #3
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

I did the same last year but still had a faulty box,so in the end I bought a second hand 2004 box and after 11months everything is fine.
In 2003 they were replaced by an uprgraded/stronger box,Mainly identified by the level plug being a nut instead of allen key.
I had a 160 upgrade and pulled a large caravan and then took the car across Europe with a full boot/ back seat /roof box and trailer,,not realizing I had a weak autobox,luckily it failed within 1/2 mile of home.
I'm currently stripping the old box down for useful bits,such as the relays and'new' reverse piston'.
It also begs the question why the 190 was detuned to 180 for the autobox,maybe the torque was too much,,,(160 diesel upgrade torque value ??)
Anyway good luck with it.
my suggestion is to get another box,2003 onwards,with maybe a small guarantee on it.
I followed someones ''how to'' on here and substituted the' long bolt'lift method with my electric winch,which made it easy,,while the subframe was out,I easily replaced the wishbone/ball joints,as they were very accessible .
Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote