View Single Post
Old 10th May 2022, 19:48   #3
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

All depends on circumstances and just how much you like the car. I spent a load on new rear subframe, suspension arms, springs, dampers etc, doing the work myself. But then started pricing up other things that would need doing imminently, and to me, the cost far outweighed the worth of car.

I was really unsure about getting rid of it as over the years I'd convinced myself what a great car it was, power, handling comfort etc. I spent a few days browsing auto trader, for any manual diesel saloon, and narrowed it down to 3 models I liked. I found 1 a 10 minute drive away and arranged and went on a test drive, and put a deposit on it the moment I got back.

I've had the replacement 7 months now, and I haven't regretted it once. Yes I'll be paying off this car for another 3 and a bit years, but I feel it's money better spent, than ploughing it into the old ZT. Admittedly I'm also about to put it in for some very expensive preventative maintenance, but it's still worth more than I've spent on work, and it's my fault for not doing a bit more research before buying, however I probably would still have got it as it's lovely. If I'd had somewhere to keep the ZT I may have kept it as a 2nd car, but I couldn't.

So if you've got the time to make a decision, I'd recommend doing the same, get on auto trader and just search for preferred gearbox, fuel and body style, and see if anything takes your fancy, at a price you can afford/justify. If you find something, take a test drive, research common faults, and then you'll be better placed to decide if you want to spend £X on your current car, or £Y on a replacement.

Asking on the owners forum 99% are going to tell you it's great and keep it, but it all depends on circumstances. You've got a good few months to try different things and price it up and make your decision.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote