Thread: MOT's
View Single Post
Old 1st October 2021, 14:33   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I usually spend a day under and around each car at the beginning and end of summer checking everything within my ability.

Usually when a car is coming up to a critical age point, I take it to a trusted mechanic and ask them to spend 1-2 hours going over the whole car in order to given me a full appraisal of its condition.

I did this with my Omega at 17 years old and asked what would need to be done for it to give another 4-5 years of trouble free service (in order to use the estate to ferry the two kids to//from university with all their gear). Based on the advice, I had things like the brake pipes replaced and parts of sills cut-out/replaced before it became necessary.

This year, with the car now on 22 years of age, I paid for a 1.5-hour appraisal and asked te question what would need to be done to make it last another 3 years to take it to 25 years old. The answer came back that nothing needs to be done now but with a list of items that will probably need to be done over the following 2-3 years. I now have another year before the new MOT expires to take a decision on whether I need such a large estate and get the work done or call it a day and get a medium size estate (sorry, sports tourer!).

This does require access to mechanics one can trust, which I am fortunate to have.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote