View Single Post
Old 27th October 2016, 09:38   #1
Alex79

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rover 75 audio upgrades

Hi

I have just joined the site as I am looking for advice on upgrading the audio on a Rover 75 (2000 W) that has been in the family from new but I will now be using regularly.

I recently completed a full audio instal in my MGB GT including full Dynamat, Kenwood single din head unit with time alignment and DSP etc., Focal ISN 130 component speakers (French made), Genesis series 3 4 channel amp (bought from Gordon - the amp doctor) and JL audio micro sub. Therefore I have a pretty good knowledge of what can be done in principle but I am after some knowledge/information as to what can be fitted where etc.

The car currently has an early Chinesse double din DVD/Nav unit fitted. This has fr/rr and sub outputs at line level. I would like to keep the unit (though the blutooth is poor) and add more power/more resolved bass.

Therefore my plan is to upgrade the front speakers with a better set of components. What sort of upgrades have people fitted and does anyone know the mounting depth? I understand that an MDF baffle would improve the sound and increase the options available. I plan to Dynamat the front doors (inside outer skin + seal holes in the inner skin). I was thinking of Focal ISN 165 as they have a shallow mounting depth and a very compact crossover. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I am contemplating purchasing a Gensis stereo 100 if I can find one to power the front end. I would locate it under the fuse box lid in the passenger footwell if people think it could support the weight? This has the advantage of short cable runs for power, signal and speakers.

As for the remainder of the system, upgrading the rear speakers with some co-axials powered off the rear head unit outputs would help.

My biggest issue is improving the bass response. I have seen a few under seat active subwoofers that might do the job if they fit neatly. Both Kenwood and Pioneer do compact units but has anyone fitted them and if so, what sort of results/compromises in space did you find?

I do not want to fit any large sub boxes in the boot!

As for the practicalities of the install, how have people resolved:
1) locating/routing power from the battery, especially considering the location of the powered items I require?
2) finding a suitable ground in the passenger footwell/seat area?
3) using the existing speaker cables located behind the head unit. Are these good enough to connect to from an upgraded amp and if not, how easy is it to route cables through the doors etc?
4) to run signal and power cables from the head unit/battery to an under seat active sub located under the passenger seat, is it best to route through the back of the glove box and then own the base of the a-pillar and then lift the carpet slightly to route along the inside of the sill?

On a final note, has anyone achieved good results with just upgrading the speakers and adding sufficient power without having to install a sub? I am not a bass head by any means but like to hear the full range of music. The Rover 75 is certainly a quiet car (on a par with the XF that my parents also have) so it must be possible to get good quality audio without having to fit large quantities of equipment!
Alex79 is offline   Reply With Quote