View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:10   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Thanks Brian. Difficult to see all that from the pic.---

To the OP. Most of the work building a garage is fairly easy if you have reasonable building skills. If not then you might be able to tackle the floor slab yourself and even the simple electrics but you'll need the other three trades to complete the job.----

Look at their previous work though and don't take any chances.---Good luck with it.

With any job quality control by yourself is ESSENTIAL to nip any errors in the bud.

PS. Tiling battens. The membrane has to have the battens on top so that the hooks on the roof tiles can fix on to them.

The angle of the roof determines if tilting fillets are required.

The wall plate that the gang-nailed roof trusses sits on must also be fixed down to the garage walls by wall straps.

As they say in the trade the work needs a good coat of looking at.--Lol.
Fully agree bar one thing Jon, the purpose of the tilting fillet.

It supports the bottom row of tiles so they don't cantilever, and the sarking felt is laid over the top of the fillet to prevent it from sagging.

That was what I meant when talking about the membrane being incorrectly fitted at the bottom, by the nailing of a batten over the top of the membrane to support the bottom row of tiles..........this leads to water pooling and that batten rotting.........anyway look at the awesome finished job, it's cowboytastic

Look at the lovely verge, complimented by the expertly executed ridge tiles

How about this nice touch, can you see the tiling batten through the big gap in the tiles

How is it possible to lay tiles this badly, or fit guttering so ineptly

So Jon, do you now catch my drift when I said it was an abortion?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote