View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:23   #9
Vantheman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Update!
The bad smell is only there when the engine is running and worse when the ventilation is not recirculating so that rules out quite a few things.
So last night I focused on where fumes could get into the plenum chamber. Checked the seal to the bonnet which is good. Then looking at all the grommets round pipes etc going into the plenum chamber, I found a pipe (clutch pipe?) where the grommet wasn't fully clipped into the metalwork and has a much bigger hole than the pipe. I took the air filter cover off and with one hand in the plenum and one behind the engine I got the grommet in place. Filled up the hole with sealant and also touched up around the metal pipes above, because shining a torch in through the plenum showed some light on the engine side.
Result: Nasty chemically smell is gone and I feel better but not fully sorted as headache is still there!
Now there must have been 2 problems here - the hole, and the fumes that came through it. The hole must have been there 2 months ago when I bought the car, but the fumes weren't. I remember having a vague suspicion that the car had got louder at tickover - I wonder if this is related.
I'm taking it in for the MoT in 2 days and I'll talk to the garage about this and hopefully they can find something that's not too expensive!
Van
Vantheman is offline   Reply With Quote