Thread: cracking tyres
View Single Post
Old 5th June 2022, 03:04   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
there seems to be a lot of tyres cracking , especially in the tread depths lately reported. i have read a little regarding the chemicals used during the manufacture process which contributes a lot to this problem. the E.U clamped down on the use of certain polluting chemicals during manufacture. i am wondering if these laws were applied to the japanese tyre producers , toyo etc. if they were produced abroad they may still have the good old way of making a lasting tyre ... without cracks appearing after a few years only ..
Precisely. I had to throw away a set of Michelins recently and have heard folks say they've had Avons and some other Euro tires cracking prematurely, as well.

Asian tires don't do it. I just bought a set of Nexen tires to replace the cracked Michelins. They were made in South Korea. There are a few Korean tire makers and all seem to be good. But, be careful because even they do offshore manufacturing - some also made in China and the Czech Republic. Pretty sure the Czech plant will also be following EU rules.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote