View Single Post
Old 13th July 2022, 09:40   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikk View Post
... is the auto box in the ZT the same as the one in the 75? And how difficult/expensive would it be to fit?
Hi Rik,

My thoughts are that you don't have incontrovertible evidence to conclude that the whine is gearbox related. It's also intermittent and your car has covered a fairly high mileage.

You say that the transmission fluid was changed last year and the "correct" fluid was used. What brand and type was that? Many universal fluids claim to be suitable but they don't specifically meet N402 specification.

I think that fitting a used gearbox without any real idea of the source of the whine is a gamble that could easily turn out to be a waste of time and money. Your current automatic transmission may well go on for another 100,000 miles, with whine! For example, my Citroën's gearbox is slow to disengage drive when moving into neutral and is also slow engaging reverse. It's present only when cold and has been like that for years. I'm not going to tear the gearbox apart until I have a failure to grapple with and I think I'm going to be waiting a very long time!

To answer your questions, the same automatic gearbox is fitted to the diesel Rover and MG ZT (the petrol versions have a different final drive ratio) and I'd say that you will run up a sizeable bill.

Cheers,

Simon