View Single Post
Old 25th January 2021, 19:10   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
This time it lasted eight months and has now started to leak again. I really can't believe this ... I should have fitted Kaisers Metal thermostat ..
Hi Martin,

No, you don't need to fit Kaiser's metal thermostat. The leakage isn't anything to do with the material of which the thermostat housing is manufactured, it's due to the 'O' ring seals flattening. This happens because the whole assembly can move unless the serrated clips on the straight pipe are set correctly. That's their purpose! They should be moved fully outwards so that they're in intimate contact with the water pump and thermostat housings. I've had mine like this for nearly three years and no more leaks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
That's all very well but there are many instances of failed thermostats. They are inherently unreliable.
What do you mean by "failed" Martin? If you mean leaking then yes, you're right. But now we know why this happens, the simple procedure described above will increase reliability at a stroke! The problem seems to be that, despite me repeating the advice frequently, a lot of members seem not to be seeing it.

Simon