View Single Post
Old 10th August 2019, 22:41   #16
david75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn SE, 04

Default Thoughts on Y-spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor75 View Post
What are these y wheels got any pictures?
When I got my car (about 5 years ago) the wheels it came with were Crowns.

A few months later I saw a set of 4 y-spokes for sale by a member on here so I bought them.

It seemed like a good idea at the time on the basis that:

- it seemed like fun to have some rare wheels. (I have since seen photos of a few other cars with these wheels, but none 'in the flesh')
- they are 15-inch, same as Crowns
- they were authentic in the sense that (I believe) they were a Connoisseur option at the time my car would have been new (2001)

If I had done a bit more homework I would have discovered that the "Y"s are actually chromed plastic and I have heard reports of them coming loose and falling off (although mine seem perfectly intact), but the main issue for me is that because of the plastic these wheels can't be refurbed in the same way that normal alloys can be refurbed, because the plastic would not stand the heat. (This is unlike X-spokes where the 'X's are part of the alloy, I believe, and I think they are 17 inch.)

Having lived with mine for about 5 years and about 20,000 miles, I do have a few scrapes due to kerbing, but I guess I'll have to live with that (unless anyone on here can tell me different).

The spare wheel that came with the car was a full size steel wheel, a couple of years ago when Rimmers had a sale which included y-spoke wheels, I bought one quite cheap and it remains hidden away as my spare, brand new with a brand new tyre!

Anyway, I hope this might be of interest, and here are some pictures.

and the new spare....