View Single Post
Old 11th August 2019, 12:05   #28
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I have had a few breakdowns in my long driving career, both of my own vehicle and company vehicles. I have only suffered one breakdown of my own vehicle which I wasn't able to fix myself at the roadside - a clutch master cylinder complete failure a couple of years ago. I've had cart spring snap and been lucky enough to have a spare in my boot, so fixed at the road side. One car ingested a nut, which jammed under an intake valve so I had to strip the head down at the road side in London, plus a few minors, fixed in minutes where the engine has simply died - blocked jets, blocked filter from dirty fuel.

Company cars and much higher mileages, I have had lots of breakdowns. One lost all of its single circuit hydraulic brakes on a hill, so I had to scrub the speed off against a hedge with the help of the gears and handbrake. A one month old one had its ECU fail completely, another recent one had its gear stick become detached due to a design fault.

So I can fix many issues myself and I do maintain my cars, but even the best maintained can fail and not be fixable at the roadside without parts. Besides, modern roads are busy - try pushing a 2 ton car and a 1.5 ton caravan by yourself, on a busy motorway. I'm getting old and not as fit as I used to be, so its takes me a little longer than it used to take whatever I do.

The reasons you quote is the very reason I took out breakdown cover. In 1996 I bought a used Granada, my very first car with electronic ignition, injection and auto gearbox. One look under the bonnet convinced me I needed cover, what with motorways, longer journeys and my wife driving the car. I accept I have been very lucky not needing the breakdown services, but have never begrudged the fees for the cover. It has been worth it for the peace of mind.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote