Thread: Marina, Brian?
View Single Post
Old 11th January 2019, 13:59   #6
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

My very first brand new car was a Marina 1.7 HL in a rather fetching colour I called 'trouser brown' lol. V plate 1979. it was so cheap new I just couldn't say no to the special offer from Mumfords BL in Launceston Cornwall. it cost New ... £4,110 on the road and the brown colour was the only one they had in stock at the time of the offer. All my mates called me a total t**T for buying it and it ended up being the worst thing I ever did, in the 18 months I owned it ... it spent 59 days in total back in the garage to be fixed for any number of things .... wiper failure, brake failures (more than once), clutch failure, electrical failures (many), finally the rear axle let go ... turned out it was almost dry with no signs of leakage which indicated it had not been filled from the factory !! everything was sorted on warranty but with all the problems ... it kind of took the shine off the whole 'new car' thing.
Was a real shame tbh as a guy I worked with had a Mk1 1800 TC coupe and he never had a single bit of trouble with it, so I guess I used that as a bench mark for my purchase. ooops.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote