View Single Post
Old 20th January 2012, 16:21   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Please note, this thread is not to discuss the in-line modifications. This thread does need your thinking head on.
TC
Good idea to start this thread TC. Here's a stat stripped down for anyone who hasn't seen one to ponder on. This one was 11 years old, had done 300k miles and was still operating well, opening at 88C.

You can see that the main valve spring pushes against the bracket when the valve opens, and the smaller spring will allow the smaller valve to seat against the seat as it closes, taking up any overtravel. The 2 valve discs move together until the smaller valve closes completely.

I stripped it to heat the spring up and then re-assemble and test to see if an overheated spring, as mentioned in a previous thread, will make any difference to its opening temperature. Not that I think it will mind.

Will report the results when completed.

Mike

Edit: As spotted by blacknwhite the bracket is shown here the opposite way round to how it sits in the thermostat.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 21st January 2012 at 10:09..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote