View Single Post
Old 15th February 2021, 12:54   #8
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
Having just tried such a jump starter yesterday, I'd say these are OK if the battery is not too discharged. Which is probably a very fine line on a diesel!

My battery was very discharged after the cold spell we'd had and being left for weeks without use. Tried to start it and just a click, after attempting to turn over once.

Borrowed my brother's jump starter - a "DBPower 250A / 500A peak 10800mAh" pack. This was fully charged. Connected it up, turned it on, waited for the green light, etc. Nothing but clicks when I tried to start. Left for a minute and tried again. Turned over but would not fire.

In the end gave it a quick charge for 30 minutes and it started. Then gave it a good run. The battery still needs a full charge to get it back to good health.

The pack I used it not as "powerful" as the other mentioned. But then are these all just numbers and can we trust any of them from a chinese no brand??

I suppose everybody must pass on their own experiences when using such units which understandably might all have differing levels of success

It is a bit hit and miss reading Amazon reviews on these items also when we know so many unfortunately are proven to be false and misleading.

When I was considering buying I went on YouTube and watched a number of American blokes firing up big 5 litre diesel cars /truck thingys in scrapyards and the like with these units. Its doubtful that these blokes had any connection with the manufacturers so more likely to be impartial views I would have thought which persuaded me to take a chance.

I suppose its obvious that these things aren't the be all and end all of roadside car repair but just a string in the bow to maybe get you going in a tight spot and certainly in the twice or so that I've used mine proved a real quick solution that got me going when I needed to and without the major hassle of jump leads and organising another car to help.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote