View Single Post
Old 12th January 2021, 17:45   #6
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Be careful when you remove the inner race from the stub axle as there is a stainless steel flinger on the part nearest the backplate, take a look at the picture below....

The method I employ if this happens is to use a pair of mole grips on the inner race at the point where the groove which locates the white plastic clip engages, and rotating it, do not under any circumstances attempt to lever it off against the backplate.

The white plastic ring clips the two inner races together, so clip it to the outboard inner race with clean hands as not to contaminate the grease, then gently push the inboard inner race into the bearing until they clip together.

If the plastic part is distorted, boil the kettle make yourself a cuppa, and put the plastic part in an old cup and pour some boiling water over it to soften the nylon and make it easier to reshape.

Finally before installation of the bearing, give the running surfaces of the stub axle a wipe over with 400 grit wet and dry paper, clean off and a smear of LM grease to prevent it from seizing to the axle, and ensure the grease cap is in place.

Brian
The “flinger” goes straight through yer finger if you are not careful. Guess how I found out.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote