View Single Post
Old 29th April 2021, 19:20   #8
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Just an update on the result of renewing my faulty hydra mount for those interested.

The scenario was that after buying my diesel 75 almost 3 and a half years ago I took the car up to Jules within a couple of weeks to repair items that I was aware of when buying the car and for Jules to give it a service plus a once over to identify any other real or potential problems.

Amongst a number of items he pointed out was that gel was oozing from the hydra mount but given a long list of other items to deal with there therefore more urgent matters to attend too first.

Due to addressing other matters over a period of time plus obviously a lost year due due to the pandemic with little milage added to the car it has taken me this long to get round to changing over the mount which of course has naturally deteriorated further during this extended period.

I had been experiencing for some time quite severe vibrations through the steering wheel plus increased engine noise/ vibration when any strain was put on the engine such as accelerating and when the engine was put under increased pressure going up a hill, away from lights etc.

So off to Colwyn Bay Tuesday with the hydra mount finally amongst the list of things to be changed.

Now I suppose like most people its always nice to see or experience a real improvement when a damaged item is replaced as a justification or just satisfaction that your money has been well spent.

The existing hydra mount upon removal was found to be totally dry and empty by this stage and the new one fitted.

The 200 mile journey home through a mixture of dual carriageways and twisting mid Wales and English border roads would provide the perfect road test for braking, accelerating, hill climbs and cruising.

And what a difference the new hydra mount has made, nil steering wheel vibration even under the most testing of conditions and the only description to the drive I can make is 'transformative smoothness' to the whole performance of the car.

I don't think that I noticed one gear change from the autobox during the whole 200 mile journey due to the newfound smoothness of the whole performance. A truly remarkable transformation to be honest

I'm not suggesting the the previous ride was awful or anything but what a difference.

I suppose that other factors can and will influence any degree of noticeable improvement or otherwise in other peoples cars scenarios but if anyone is humming or harring about changing an obviously damaged hydramount I wouldn't hesitate in getting it done as soon as is feasible.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote