View Single Post
Old 10th January 2020, 18:48   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty62 View Post
Hi All, had a problem with my heater, it worked perfectly, for about 15 miles, then suddenly it went cold, tried it the next day,on a short trip, and it went back to the normal temperature,has anyone had a similar problem, if so, is it anything to get concerned over, or is it just a dreaded gremlin attack
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but could be relevant. When you mentioned the 15 miles it reminded me of my first 'discovery' of this 'safety feature'.

When you say it went cold, did all the vents go cold? When set to auto, and it has reached its target temp, the upper vents on the driver's side will cool down. I always thought this was meant to be a few degrees lower, but mine feels much cooler than this, to the point it feels cold. The feet level vents will remain warm as well as all the passenger side vents. Once in this status it will be as follows;

Driver's side window vent = cool
Driver's side door vent = cool
Driver's side face vents (if used) = cool
Driver's side foot vents = warm
Driver's side rear foot vent = warm

Passenger's side window vent = warm
Passenger's side door vent = warm
Passenger's side face vents (if used) = warm
Passenger's side foot vents = warm
Passenger's side rear foot vent = warm

There is a way to over ride it, but I cannot remember, I think it was either switching off the auto mode, or putting it on to recirc. Increasing the temp will override it, but only until that target temp has been reached.

In my car, the target temp would be reached after approximately 15 miles (I drive with the window down a little). So if your next 'short' run as you described, was short enough that the target temperature within the car was not yet reached, then you wouldnt notice it. I would actually reckon most people do not notice it under normal use.

--------------------------------------

if all the vents are cold, then it is likely to be an airlock or blockage somewhere, and just ignore the above lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote