View Single Post
Old 24th September 2021, 10:11   #14
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

I am in a similar situation , i have 4000 to 5000 pounds to spend and must have an automatic . I have a Jaguar S-type 3.0 petrol that replaced a 75 nearly 7 years ago, I always regretted changing the 75 but it needed the belts doing a clutch and welding amongst a few other jobs but my health was on the downward slope so I couldn't do it myself, the S-type came up at a price that I couldn't refuse so went for it. In my opinion the Jags build quality isn't as solid as the 75s, plastic door handles and switches are just a couple of gripes but she has lasted me well , she has been reliable and I have grown to love her. Now I need to replace the Jag as it needs money spending on radiator ,suspension overhaul ,welding, some paintwork and a few electrical grey.ins have popped up. I've looked and looked but I'm not sure what to go for, one rule the missus has set out is it needs to be newer than the Jag which is an 03 plate. Ideally I would like an estate, it was crucial at one point as I needed to get the wife's electric wheelchair in the car, but we have changed plans now and a saloon would be suitable. I've looked at Jags an S-type and XF, the S-types are now needing welding as the tin worm is taking its toll , same with the XF tin worm and the reported reliability problems with electronics and the fragile V6 diesel engines with there plastic inlets, waterways, twin turbos and DPF regeneration problems, and the chance your bottom end gives up , and they are not the most accessible engines to work on. HEART says S-type as I know and love them now also consider XF as its the more up to date S-type same suspension similar engines etc. HEAD says move on as you will end up spending loads of money on both models due to rot or electronics and you aren't able to do much now due to health so its independent garages for repairs. I've looked at Volvo V70 estates but they seem a little soulless, but very comfortable and a peach of a diesel in the 2.4 5cylinder D5 which is available in a 200+ hp version WOW in later models 2008 onward, the parts are not too expensive for repairs.HEART says very plain not to much to love, HEAD says practical reliable OK on fuel and go on forever. I have also looked at 5 series BMW estates as they have rear air suspension which would be beneficial with the electric wheelchair as it is heavy although not as necessary as before, the diesels are good engines the 2.0 has its issues with timing chains its not the m47 fitted to the Rover MG range the 3.0 is a beast but the auto gearboxes can be fragile along with some electronics problems. HEART says I like these but HEAD says can be expensive to repair, reasonably economical in 3.0 diesel flavour excellent in 2.0 diesel but all a bit complex. So do I stay with the know S-type and spend the money on the repairs or swap it for a newer one of the same flavour or buy into an unknown. Decisions Decisions.
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote