View Single Post
Old 10th September 2021, 00:48   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
The figures stated seem typical for any modern car where a main dealership is used for diagnostics and repairs including manufacturer supplied components. Your post in my view proves the point that spending say £1k on a known good car in order to extend its useful life is often going to be more economical than a replacement car.
But at £280 on a modern car after 2 years, and potentially an annual cost of that is not necessarily going to extend the life. Rather that cost will just diagnose an issue only before further cost of replacement (rather than repair) of one of the many many sensors or compatibility programming of a component on a car. I have receipts of around £1000 for failed diagnosis and labour for temporary fitment of parts cannon experimentation on an XType (a car I still rather like) from a main dealer, with the only permanently fitted parts listed were for cable ties and 'some tape'! Yet the problem persisted! A squirt of WD40 apparently is a known fix for the problem I faced! (turbo actuator that gummed up, without revealing a code).

It is the nature of the beast, though. If you wish to keep up with the Joneses and display some form of affluence. We are spoiled now by our vehicles in that we have the support and knowledge of those who have had to find a way to make them viable in the modern or impoverished world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Really, my friend, what you say is so deflating. Nevertheless, thank you for your sensitive and so eloquently delivered expression of views.
I have missed your comments - just need Brian back now too, to make the popcorn worthwhile lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote