View Single Post
Old 10th September 2021, 09:17   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
But at £280 on a modern car after 2 years, and potentially an annual cost of that is not necessarily going to extend the life. Rather that cost will just diagnose an issue only before further cost of replacement (rather than repair) of one of the many many sensors or compatibility programming of a component on a car. I have receipts of around £1000 for failed diagnosis and labour for temporary fitment of parts cannon experimentation on an XType (a car I still rather like) from a main dealer, with the only permanently fitted parts listed were for cable ties and 'some tape'! Yet the problem persisted! A squirt of WD40 apparently is a known fix for the problem I faced! (turbo actuator that gummed up, without revealing a code).

It is the nature of the beast, though. If you wish to keep up with the Joneses and display some form of affluence. We are spoiled now by our vehicles in that we have the support and knowledge of those who have had to find a way to make them viable in the modern or impoverished world.

I think we are in agreement but expressing things differently. The point I intended to make was that a person should think carefully before expiring their trusted older car with a modern one because regardless of the make, ongoing costs are likely to be higher with the more modern vehicle.

It is likely to prove more economical to spend £1k on a trusty old car than to buy a newer one.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote