View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2016, 18:17   #27
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default Text of Complaint to Flaming Grill Head Office

For anyone not trying to erase the event from their memory, I'm currently waiting for a response to this:

In the late summer of 2016, following the closure of our previous venue, the NW branch of the Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club commenced holding our twice-monthly, unofficial meetings at the Cat & Lion. Usually, these Tuesday evening and Sunday lunchtime meetings are attended by about a dozen people, most of whom eat as well having drinks.

We decided to hold our Christmas meal at the Cat & Lion, choosing meals from the Flaming Grill Christmas Menu and made a provisional booking for 13.00, Sunday 18th December. At our meeting Tuesday 6th December, we confirmed the booking, giving details of the number attending and the menu choices. We paid a deposit of £53 and I attach an image of the receipt. As you can see, my mobile ‘phone number is on the receipt, a number on which I can be contacted 24/7.

Members of our party started arriving at about 12.30 on the day of the meal and it soon became obvious that things were very wrong. No tables had been prepared for our party and we were informed that, because of a refrigeration failure 2 days before and a consequent loss of food stock, the Christmas and Sunday menus weren’t available. Only a limited choice was to be had from the normal menu. Apparently a delivery of drinks had also failed to arrive and most bottled beers and lagers were also unavailable.

We asked to see the manager, but were told he wouldn’t be arriving until 14.00. Ready for food, we were faced with either leaving, or trying to make the best of it. We decided to stay and placed orders from the available items on the menu. A bad decision as there didn’t seem to be anyone assigned to the kitchen. The three staff serving us initially also appeared to be preparing the food.

The starters we had ordered arrived one or two at a time, over an hour late. The subsequent delay in the arrival of the main courses resulted in most of our party cancelling their orders and leaving. All of us cancelled our dessert orders. I was the last of our party to leave and I cancelled my order after 15.30. The manager, when he arrived, was perfectly willing to refund our deposit in its entirety and refund for undelivered orders.

Our afternoon was ruined and it can’t have been pleasant either, for the pub staff who found themselves in a very awkward position. We were by no means the only disgruntled customers, leaving without receiving their orders and no doubt you have received other complaints. I don’t know if any of the other parties had booked in advance and had therefore also been contactable by the Flaming Grill management or customer services.

Therein lies my main ground for complaint. Why wasn’t I advised of the impossibility of the situation two days before the meal? That would have given us the chance to either make alternative arrangements, or simply cancel the event, thus avoiding a miserable afternoon. Unfortunately, feeling really let down about not being kept informed, we are now considering looking for another suitable venue for our social meetings.

Sincerely
Robert Gibbons

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote