View Single Post
Old 24th July 2019, 08:00   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I am perfectly aware of the status of HS2 and exactly what is a company limited by guarantee. Hence my carefully chosen words. The set-up is similar to many academy schools.

HS2 the company is "funded in aid" by the government i.e. is funded with public money.

Rather than worrying about specific words, the key question to ask oneself is this. "which entity owns the programme level risk and will absorb any impacts when the unknowns or risks mature?". It is the government as HS2 limited has no funds of its own.

As you acknowledge, the government and HS2 itself describe the company as a public body. But the key facts are the funding source and ownership of risk and impacts. HS2 limited is not a private contractor in the traditional sence.

I notice that you did not comment on the main point in my response to Christopher - that there is not "the contractor" that is commercially liable for the overall HS2 contract. HS2 is being delivered through hundreds of contracts with commercial entities for different projects within the programme. So the buck stops with the HS2 programme and the DfT for the overall cost of HS2.

Last edited by MSS; 24th July 2019 at 08:13..