View Single Post
Old 16th August 2021, 11:44   #7
Shapfell
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conn SE saloon / MG ZTT cdti auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
If it was flapping about with the old belt and doing the same with the new belt then more than likely the belt can be discounted as the problem.

It sounds that there is an intermittent load being applied to the the belt to make it flap.---( ie. Both belts. ) Are you sure as well that the tensioner is working correctly ??---That a steady load is being applied to the belt all the time ??

It could be that one of the other items that's being driver by the belt is close to seizure.--Idler roller, alternator etc.

The only part left that hasn't been changed (Crank pulley, idler, tensioner and tensioning block, water pump, alternator, belt) is the PS pump. Maybe that has started to play up. I may put another on to try it. One thing that did make me think a bit, was when I first had this car the idle was about 900-1000rpm. I found a woodscrew through the throttle pedal holding the revs up but when I removed it, I could find no reason for it being there. But, now if I hold 900rpm, the belt slap stops. Hmmm..

2004 Conn SE 1.8
Work so far:-
Gerry T, Rad Fan Resistor, Handbrake Compensator, Bonnet Catch Block, Leather Handbrake gaiter, Journey Camera,
Sean's DD Unit with Freeview!, Towbar, Rear Sunblind, Smiley!, Headlamp Protectors, Alloy Intake, R75 Brolly, Puddle lights, reversing camera.

2004 Connie CDTi Tourer; replacement for the ZTT.
Shapfell is offline   Reply With Quote