View Single Post
Old 16th August 2022, 09:04   #2
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit6060 View Post
Urgent help needed please.
I have a face-lift MG estate, 2 litre diesel. Yesterday, left Paris, and about an hour from our destination of Morzine, the engine started to make a noise. It's sort of thud thud noise and is speed related. At rest, the engine sounds fine, but as the car gains speed, the noise increases. There's no loss of power, there's no smoke from the exhaust. There's no noise from the brakes. We carried on with the noise, which didn't get worse or affect performance and arrived at our destination. I know of a former MG/Rover dealership in Vougy and will take the car there.
Do you have any ideas what the problem is before I go to the garage?
Many thanks.

So the noise increases in frequency dependent only on road speed but not engine speed or which gear you are in ?

If so I doubt it can be an engine noise !

Can anything be felt through the car as you hear the noise ?

Does it come from any particular side, presuming it's coming from the front ?

Did it come on gradually or all of a sudden ?

It sounds like the noise could be tyre/wheel/transmission based rather than engine.

Jack up each front wheel, spin them looking for tyre distortion, wheel problems any signs of a rotating item, drive shafts etc making contact with anything, anything wrapped round them for example.

Does it start immediately you start to move and does it do it in reverse ?