View Single Post
Old 25th October 2020, 19:07   #1
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Default ABS Light on...could this be the reason?

Hi Folks,

Hope everyone is OK during these strange times.

MOT is due on the ZT-T at the end of this month and just as I started to get things together to check it over and put on my set of refurbished hairpins and new rubber the ABS light came on with the handbrake light. Failing the electronic self-check and light on all the time. No speedo and a possessed fuel gauge made me buy a new front sensor as a matter of course from DMGRS. Plugged it in and still failed the self test.

So, bit the bullet and whipped out the battery to access the ABS module connector to check for corrosion. Hey presto, slightly fluffy pins! So small bronze brush and some isopropyl alcohol and started to clean the pins. One bends over and then snaps off when straightened...followed by 3 small pins giving up! So, that's that for the module/solenoid side of the ABS unit.

So I got a s/h unit ordered off ebay and with nothing to lose I started to undo the 6 screws that hold the module and solenoids onto the unit body to have a look at the potential for replacing that rather than breaking into the hydraulic circuit (did this on a Mondeo previously with a good result).

After much awkwardness and using all manner of ways to drive / turn several different Torx T20 bits, all the screws were out and the module front can be simply slid off...or so I thought.

Had to lever it off and in doing so 7 of the 8 solenoid coil units remained on the posts of the main body and look at the state of things (apologies for the large images...now sorted)! Quite surprised to see corrosion like that inside a pump's solenoid unit. Seal appears intact but water or water vapour has been in there doing damage to everything for some time!

So I put some PlusGas on them and left them for a while to soak. I returned with my medium-sized SuperWrench and had to rotate each solenoid back and forth to loosen the corrosion bond and slide them off the posts.

Here's the remains of mine on the left compared with the module box off the replacement.

Hoping that this will solve the problem. Fingers crossed and I'll let you know.

Cheers and stay safe,

Jonty

Last edited by drjonts; 26th October 2020 at 11:24.. Reason: Biiiiiiiiiig pictures!
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote