View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:41   #8
Uncle Dean
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetdm View Post
Hi, where in Spain are you headed for?

I'm interested in driving to Torrevieja myself, probably early next year though.
Hi Tommy,.

We were headed a little south of your area, My mother lives just outside Pilar De la Horadada, near to the Mar Menor.

As many have said its a great journey to do, I have done it 3 times now and it is so easy.

Arrive at Plymouth with near to an empty tank, as there are plenty of fuel stations in Santander, my favourite is right in the centre a few 100 yds from the ferry exit called Easygas, as at last week 90.9 cents per litre. one of the few countries where diesel is cheaper than unleaded.

as mentioned head south around Madrid, dont worry about the R3 toll road, 2.35 euros, so it will never break the bank. take care in the service stations pick one that appeals, there are loads, but following a previous post pick one situated in a empty location rather than a built up area... easier to keep an eye on vechicle.
with the 120 speed limit nearly all the way allow 9-10 hours with a stop from when you leave the ferry terminal.

Due to the ferry times I generally head straight south pedaal to the metal, and leave the sight seeing for the way back.

there are a few alternatives to the staightforward reverse of arriving, so you can pick what suits. generally I head to Burgos as an overnight stop on way home.... it leaves a short step of 2-3 hours when i can appreciate the hill route srtaight north mentioned before, its a fantastic road.
Burgos is really beautifull city and this trip we found an AirBnB right in the centre next to the Cathedral, it came complete with an underground private garage so the car was locked and off the road. if anyone wants the details I will interrogate herself... I know it was a complete self contained appartment for 56 euros.

I recomend the journey whole heartedly and leaving from up here at these times was a breath of fresh air.
Writing this in isolation now waiting to see if we are also going to follow our southern neighbours into lockdown.
Uncle Dean is offline   Reply With Quote