View Single Post
Old 16th May 2021, 22:53   #25
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Time for an update, and hopefully the resolution of something very strange.

Connected Toaf, whole load of fault codes much like the T4 reported, erased, ran the engine the few seconds it would splutter, only unknown fault returned. I’ve plans to copy Arctic’s T4 in a box, but not got around to it yet, so Toaf was on duty. Checked fuses, especially 1 & 2. all good. Lifted fusebox, no rodent evidence.

Now the weird thing: if the owner removes one of the sparkplugs (1.8T) the car will run, roughly as you’d expect, but does run until he switches off the ignition. It doesn’t matter which sparkplug, the car will still run on 3 but if he puts no4 plug back in it splutters and just runs for 2/3 seconds. Anyone recognise this, or have ideas?

Regards

When he removes a plug, ( less load on the engine ) does he disconnect the relevant coil or leave the spark plug attached to the coil but resting on the the engine ?

What happens if he leaves all the spark plugs in but unplugs a random coil does it run on 3 or splutter?

When it is running on three has he tried driving it a short distance to increase the load on the engine to see what happens ?

When it is running on three, will it rev up cleanly and reasonably well ?

When you say spluttering, is it like random misfires or are there spluttering noises as well, if so where from, inlet side or exhaust side ?

I don't recognise it nor have any real ideas, but I'm trying to think through the symptoms and possible causes the old way, by the seat of my pants, there are lots of things engine management systems can tell us and a lot they can't.

I have only quickly read through the thread but will go back and read through in detail to see if anything springs to mind.